Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Butterflies


Do you ever wonder why Butterflies are not called Flutterflies? That makes so much more sense to me. Were did the butter part come from? Random tangent I know!

Anyways butterflies do relate... I stare at a framed picture at work everyday that my Mom gave me. It reads, "Happiness is like a butterfly, the more you chase it the more it will elude you. But if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder." Don't get me wrong, I love this quote, but I have never had a butterfly come and sit on my shoulder. Maybe they have landed on my finger, but I can't remember. My Grandma caught one, then it died, and she glued it into a jar to show us whenever we visited. I always wanted to have my own butterfly jar because of that. The point is I have had them flutter along my side a lot while I run, never caught one or had a landing.

A lot of you or maybe even most of you know that the last few months have been very hard for me. In fact I would say the last month was harder then my mission experience or anything I have been through thus far in life. I have been dealing with some pretty heavy stuff or multiple trials and I felt at my lowest emotionally. I am doing a little better, but still have my days, like today. So I ask myself, "Don't I deserve to catch a butterfly?" Yet, I know the answer to my question. Nobody can keep a butterfly forever. You can put it in a jar, but then it isn't living. I am pretty sure nobody is happy all of the time, but dang it, is it too much to ask for that butterfly to land on my shoulder a little more often?

No comments:

Post a Comment